for American Protégé e-mails
to timely receive our news
and events updates
American Protége International Woodwinds and Brass Competition is designed for solo performers and ensembles of all ages, nationalities and countries, who would like to challenge themselves in a very competitive environment. The Competition is open for Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Oboe, Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, Piccolo, Trumpet, Trombone, French Horn, Flugel, Tuba and other woodwinds and brass instruments. Participants are required to submit video recording of recent performance for the audition.
We invite school students and adults to participate in the Competition. There is no age limit for the adult participants.
Multiple winners will be chosen in each of the following age groups:
|Young musicians||5 – 9|
|Junior||10 – 13|
|Intermediate||14 – 17|
|Amateur (without Professional Degree)||18 and older|
|College students and professionals||18 and older|
Since the situation with COVID-19 Global Health Crisis is still uncertain, winners will be offered to perform at the Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall in 2023, or to receive a Winner’s Package by mail.
$300 Scholarship, Judges’ Favorite Award Trophy, Judges’ Distinction Award Trophy and other Special Awards may be granted based on the judges recommendations.
A panel of qualified judges will evaluate audition materials. All judges are independent, their students are not allowed to apply this season.
To apply for the Competition participants must submit:
– Completed online Application Form.
– DVD recording or a link to YouTube video of their performance.
– A biography of the applicant in MS Word format (not to exceed 150 words). Include past participation in the competitions, festivals and other public events. Portrait photo in electronic format, to be used for the Competition brochure printing. Examples could be found in the Recital Booklet Sample – click here.
– Biography and photo should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Application fee.
Mail DVD and Application Fee to: American Protégé, P.O. Box 287476, New York, NY 10128
For express shipping services please use the following street address: American Protege, Attn: Irina Ionova, 245 East 93rd Street, #22E, New York, NY 10128.
Application materials acceptance will be closed by the end of the day on October 25, 2021.
Application Fee for solo performers is $200.
Application fee for Duo and Trio is $150 per Ensemble Member.
Application Fees are not refundable.
U. S. participants should make a check or money order payable to American Protégé and mail to American Protégé, P.O. Box 287476, New York, NY 10128. PayPal options at the bottom of this page could be used with an additional fee added to cover PayPal service charge.
International participants may use:
– Certified bank check or international money order payable to American Protégé. International participants must use express shipping services and provide the tracking number.
– PayPal (See bottom of this page).
Performance time limit is under 6 minutes for Junior, Young Musicians and Intermediate Categories, and under 7 minutes for College Students and Professionals and Amateur Categories.
1. Applicant may choose one piece from the standard repertoire (Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Contemporary periods).
2. Only unedited video can be accepted for the audition (parts of video connected together or video clips are not acceptable).
3. Recordings should be a fair representation of the Contestant’s abilities, but need not be of a professional quality. Recording materials must be labeled.
4. Contestants must perform from memory. No repeats. Music for the ensembles does not have to be memorized.
5. The DVD will not be returned.
6. Judges comments will not be disclosed. Judges’ decisions are final and can’t be appealed.
7. The final selection of winners will be based solely on the video recordings submitted.
8. No changes of repertoire are allowed after the application is submitted.
9. Certificates of Recognition will be granted to the performing winners only, after the Winners Recital. Winners who have chosen not to participate in the Winners Recital for any reason will be disqualified.
10. Competition results will be published on the American Protégé web-site on November 20, 2021.
11. In addition to the Competition Rules, American Protégé General Policy provisions apply to all applicants and winners. Please read carefully American Protégé Policy before applying to the Competition.
1. Each Winner will perform at one Recital. Recital date and time will be offered to the Winner based on the Competition results.
2. To change a performance repertoire, a $55 fee must be submitted on the Contact Us page no later than two months prior to the Recital.
3. Only piano accompaniment can be used at the Winners Recital. No acoustic system will be provided.
4. Participants must bring their own piano accompanist. American Protégé does not provide piano accompanist, but can recommend one (contact the office).
5. Organizational Committee collects short biographies to introduce the performers at the Winners Recitals. American Protégé reserves the rights to edit, reduce and re-format any submitted biographies as it seems appropriate and fit into the Recital Brochure.
6. All participants are responsible for their own expenses (travel, housing accommodations, etc.).
7. Extra performance time of up to 1 minute can be accepted for the Winners Recital with an additional fee of $100.
8. During the COVID-19 pandemic, U.S. participants, who are unable to or unwilling to travel to NYC for the safety reasons, may request a Competition Winner’s Package with a non-refundable $300 fee. The Package includes online recognition, Winner’s Certificate, Teacher’s Diploma, four Booklets with biographies and photos, and participation Plaque Trophy. International participants may arrange a shipment to the friends or relatives residing in the U.S. We do not mail packages internationally.
9. Photography and video/audio recording is not permitted for audience at Carnegie Hall.
10. Detailed Winners Recital Guidelines will be emailed to the participants.
To pay the Solo Application Fee on-line please click on the button below. A transaction fee will be added to the payment amount to cover PayPal service charge. By clicking on the button you will be re-directed to PayPal.
Solo Application Fee
To pay the Ensemble Member Application Fee on-line please click on the button below. A transaction fee will be added to the payment amount to cover PayPal service charge. By clicking on the button you will be re-directed to PayPal
Ensemble Member Application Fee
Deadline: October 10, 2021
Deadline: October 25, 2021
Deadline: November 2, 2021
Deadline: January 20, 2022
Deadline: February 20, 2022
Summer Gala Concert at Stern
May 14, 2022 at 2:00 PM
June 12, 2022 at 2:00 PM
Tickets are available at