International Vocal Competition 2018
The American Protégé International Vocal Competition 2018 is designed for singers who would like to challenge themselves in a very competitive environment. The Competition is open to solo vocalists and vocal groups of all ages, nationalities and countries.
Participants are required to submit video recording materials for the audition.
We invite school students and adults to participate in the Competition. There is no age limit for the adult participants.
Multiple winners will be chosen in each of the following age groups:
|Young Singers||5 – 10|
|Junior||11 – 14|
|Intermediate||15 – 17|
|Amateur (without Professional Degree)||18 and older|
|College students and professional singers||18 and older|
First and Second Place Winners will perform at the Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall in New York City in December of 2018.
$300 Scholarship, Judges’ Favorite Award Trophy, Judges’ Distinction Award Trophy and other Special Awards may be granted based on the judges recommendations.
A panel of qualified judges will evaluate audition materials. All judges are independent, their students are not allowed to apply this season.
|How to Apply|
To apply for the Competition participants must submit:
- Completed online Application Form.
- YouTube (or other video sharing sites) link to the video recordings or a DVD of the performance (no need to mail a DVD if a YouTube link is provided in the Application Form).
- Biography of the applicant in MS Word format (not to exceed 150 words). Include past participation in competitions, festivals and other public events. Portrait photo in electronic format, to be used for the Competition brochure printing. Examples could be found in the Recital Booklet Sample – click here.
- Biography and photo should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application fee.
Mail DVD and Application Fee to: American Protégé, P.O. Box 287476, New York, NY 10128
For express shipping services please use the following street address: American Protege, Attn: Irina Ionova, 245 East 93rd Street, #22E, New York, NY 10128.
The application materials acceptance will be closed on June 10, 2018 (all materials must be in the American Protege office).
Application Fee for solo performers is $200.
Application fee for Duo and Trio is $120 per Ensemble Member.
Application Fees are not refundable.
U. S. participants should make a check or money order payable to American Protégé and mail to American Protégé, P.O. Box 287476, New York, NY 10128.
International participants may use:
- Certified bank check or international money order payable to American Protégé. International participants must use express shipping services and provide the tracking number.
- PayPal (See bottom of this page).
Participant may choose one, two or three songs from the following repertoire categories:
- Opera aria.
- Classical repertoire (Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Contemporary periods).
- Broadway/Musical Theatre/Jazz
Pop repertoire is not acceptable for the audition. Pop singers can apply for We Sing Pop International Song Contest.
For the School Student Category each song of the audition repertoire must be under 5 minutes in duration.
For the Amateur and College Students/Professionals categories each song of the audition repertoire must be under 7 minutes in duration.
Parts of the songs or shortened versions are not acceptable.
American Protégé Vocal Competition Rules
- Recordings should be a fair representation of the Contestant’s abilities, but need not be of a professional quality. Recording materials must be labeled.
- Contestants must perform from memory. No repeats.
- The DVDs will not be returned.
- Judges comments will not be disclosed. Judges’ decisions are final and can’t be appealed.
- The final selection of winners will be based solely on the video recordings submitted.
- Music, songs or costumes that are not considered age appropriate or family friendly by the panel of judges will be disqualified.
- No changes of repertoire are allowed after the application is submitted.
- Certificates of Recognition will be granted to the performing winners only, after the Winners Recital.
- Competition results will be published on the American Protégé web-site on June 30, 2018.
|Winners Recital Information|
- Winners of the Competition will perform one piece selected by the judges from the participant’s audition repertoire.
- To change a performance repertoire, the participant must submit a link to the new piece video recording and a $55 fee not later than two months before the Concert.
- Only piano accompaniment can be used at the Winners Recital. No acoustic system will be provided.
- Participants must bring their own piano accompanist. American Protege does not provide piano accompanist, but can recommend one (contact the office).
- Performance time limit for the School Students categories is under 5 minutes; for the Amateur category – under 6 minutes and for the College Students/Professionals category – under 7 minutes.
- Photo or video recording during the recital is strictly prohibited per the Carnegie Hall policy. A professional photographer will be taking pictures of the performers.
- Each Winner will perform at one Recital. Recital date and time will be offered to the Winner based on the Competition results.
- All participants are responsible for their own expenses (travel, housing accommodations, etc.).
The total Recital and Photo Fee for Solo Participants is $360, which covers:
– Recital Fee, includes admission for participant and piano accompanist (if needed), Recital booklets with all Recital performers’ biographies and photos (for the booklet sample please click here), Certificate, Teacher’s Diploma, four guests’ tickets.
– Photo Fee, includes set of digital photos taken by professional photographer during participant’s performance on the stage. Average set is 20-30 digital photos.
- Extra performance time of up to 1 minute can be accepted for the Winners Recital with an additional fee of $100.
- Recital and Photo Fees are not refundable.
- Photography and video/audio recording is not permitted for audience at Carnegie Hall.
- Detailed Winners Recital Guidelines will be emailed to the participants.
To pay the Application Fees on-line please select the payment amount from the drop-down window and click on the button below. A transaction fee of $15.00 will be added to the fee amount. By clicking on the button you will be re-directed to PayPal