International Competition of Romantic Music 2022
The American Protégé International Competition of Romantic Music is open to instrumentalists (piano, piano duo, winds, strings, chamber orchestras, voice) of all nationalities and countries. Participants are required to submit video recording materials for the audition.
Multiple winners will be chosen in each age category.
Since the situation with COVID-19 Global Health Crisis is still uncertain, winners will be offered to perform at the Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall on the dates to be announced, or to receive a Winner’s Package by mail.
Special prizes for best performances may be awarded based on the judges’ recommendations.
Four qualified judges will evaluate audition materials. All judges are independent; their students are not allowed to apply this season.
Dr. Sophya Genis is invited as a Chairwoman of the Competition 2022. Mrs. Genis holds a Doctor of Music Arts Degree. She studied piano with such renowned professors as Alexander Yoheles, Yakov Milstein and Yakov Zak.
How to Apply
To apply for the Competition participants must submit:
1. Completed online Application Form.
2. YouTube (or other video sharing sites) link to the video recordings of the performance.
3. Biography of the applicant in MS Word format (not to exceed 150 words). Include past participation in competitions, festivals and other public events. Portrait photo in electronic format, to be used for the Competition brochure printing. Examples could be found in the Recital Booklet Sample – click here.
4. Biography and photo should be uploaded with an application form or e-mailed to email@example.com.
5. Application fee.
American Protégé, P.O. Box 287476, New York, NY 10128
For express shipping services please use the following street address: American Protege, Attn: Irina Ionova, 245 East 93rd Street, #22E, New York, NY 10128.
Application materials acceptance will be closed by the end of the day on October 10, 2022.
Application Fee for solo performers is $200.
Application fee for Duo and Trio is $150 per Ensemble Member.
Application Fees are not refundable.
U. S. participants should make a check or money order payable to American Protégé and mail to American Protégé, P.O. Box 287476, New York, NY 10128. A PayPal options could be used with an additional fee to cover PayPal service charge.
International participants may use:
– Certified bank check or international money order payable to American Protégé. International participants must use express shipping services and provide the tracking number.
– PayPal payment option (buttons to the right). Additional fee will be added to cover PayPal service charge.
By clicking on “Pay Now” button you will be re-directed to PayPal
|Category||Age||Performance Time limit|
|Young Musicians||5 - 10||not to exceed 5 minutes|
|Junior||11 - 14||not to exceed 6 minutes|
|Intermediate||15 - 18||not to exceed 6 minutes|
|Amateur||19 and up||not to exceed 6 minutes|
|College Students and Professional Musicians||18 and up||not to exceed 7 minutes|
Second piece from the Romantic Period (no time limit) can be accepted with $50 additional fee.
Extra performance time up to 1 minute can be accepted for the Winners Recital with $100 additional fee.
2. Repertoire requirements:
- Compositions from late Beethoven to Rachmaninoff dated in the period of 1815-1910 may be chosen for the audition.
- First (required) piece will be included into the Recital program if the participant is selected as a winner.
- Only original pieces will be accepted for pianists, no shortened versions.
- Only one piece could be performed at the Winners Recital. Set of different works is not acceptable for the Winners Recital.
3. Only un-edited video can be accepted for the audition (parts of video connected together or video clips are not acceptable).
4. Recordings should be a fair representation of the Contestant’s abilities, but need not be of professional quality. Applicant’s name and exact title of the audition piece must be included in the description of the video on YouTube (Vimeo, etc.).
5. Judges’ comments will not be disclosed. Judges’ decisions are final and cannot be appealed.
6. The final selection of winners will be based solely on the video recordings submitted.
7. Contestants must perform from memory. No repeats. Music for ensembles does not have to be memorized.
8. No changes to biographical information are allowed after the application is submitted.
9. Winners will be notified about the Competition results via email.
10. Winners’ Certificates will be granted to performing winners only, after the Winners Recital.
11. Winners who choose not to participate in the Winners Recital for any reason will be disqualified.
12. Competition results will be published on the American Protégé web-site on November 10, 2022.
13. In addition to the Competition Rules, American Protégé General Policy provisions apply to all applicants and winners. Please read carefully American Protégé Policy before applying to the Competition.
1. Each Winner will perform at one Recital. Recital date and time will be offered to the Winner based on the Competition results.
2. Only ONE piece from the audition repertoire within a time limit will be performed at the Winners Recital.
3. To change a performance repertoire (including the shortened version of the piece for string performers), a $55 fee must be submitted on the Contact Us page no later than two months prior to the Recital.
4. Extra performance time of up to 1 minute can be accepted for the Winners Recital with an additional fee of $100.
5. Only piano accompaniment can be used at the Winners Recital. No acoustic system will be provided.
6. Participants must bring their own piano accompanist. American Protégé does not provide piano accompanist, but can recommend one after enrollment into the program.
7. Photo or video recording during the recital is strictly prohibited per the Carnegie Hall policy. A professional photographer will be taking pictures of the performers.
8. During the COVID-19 pandemic, U.S. participants, who are unable to or unwilling to travel to NYC for the safety reasons, may request a Competition Winner’s Package with a non-refundable $300 fee. The Package includes online recognition, Winner’s Certificate, Teacher’s Diploma, four Booklets with biographies and photos, and participation Plaque Trophy. International participants may arrange a shipment to the friends or relatives residing in the U.S. We do not mail packages internationally.
9. All participants are responsible for their own expenses (travel, housing accommodations, etc.).
10. Detailed Winners Recital Guidelines will be emailed to the participants.