International Piano and Strings Competition 2021
The American Protégé International Piano and Strings Competition is open to school students and adults of all nationalities and countries.
All instruments, including piano, strings, voice and winds are welcome to participate in the Competition.
Participants are required to submit video recording materials for the audition. Multiple winners will be chosen in each age category.
We invite school students and adults to participate in the Competition. There is no age limit for the adult participants.
Multiple winners will be chosen in each of the following age groups:
|School Students:||Adults (18 and older):|
|Young Musicians, 5 – 10||Amateur without professional degree|
|Junior, 11 – 14||College Students and Professional Musicians|
|Intermediate, 15 – 18|
18 year old school students must enter in the Intermediate Category. 18 year old college students must apply under the College Students/Professionals Category.
Since the situation with COVID-19 Global Health Crisis is still uncertain, winners will be offered to perform at the Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall in 2022, or to receive a Winner’s Package by mail.
Judges’ Distinction Award and other Special Awards may be granted based on the judges’ recommendations.
Four qualified judges will evaluate audition materials. All judges are independent; their students are not allowed to apply this season. Dr. Sophya Genis is invited as a Chairwoman of the Competition 2021. A graduate of the Moscow Gnessin Academy of Music, Mrs. Genis holds a Doctor of Music Arts Degree. She studied piano with such renowned professors as Alexander Yoheles, Yakov Milstein and Yakov Zak.
How to Apply
To apply for the Competition participants must submit:
– A completed online Application Form.
– YouTube (or other video sharing sites) link to the video recordings of their performance.
– Biography of the applicant in MS Word format (not to exceed 150 words). Include past participation in competitions, festivals and other public events. Portrait photo in electronic format, to be used for the Competition brochure printing. Examples could be found in the Recital Booklet Sample – click here.
– Biography and photo should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
– Application fee.
Mail the Application Fee to: American Protégé, P.O. Box 287476, New York, NY 10128
For express shipping services: American Protege, Attn: Irina Ionova, 245 East 93rd Street, #22E, New York, NY 10128.
Application materials acceptance was closed on January 20, 2021. The audition is in progress.
Application Fee for Solo performers – $200 for one piece. Second audition piece (no time limit) can be accepted with $50 additional fee.
Application Fee for Ensemble Member is $150 per Member.
Application Fees are not refundable.
U.S. participants should make a check or money order payable to American Protégé and mail it to American Protégé, P.O. Box 287476, New York, NY 10128. PayPal options below could be used with an additional fee added to cover PayPal service charge.
International participants may use:
– Certified bank check or international money order payable to American Protégé. International participants must use express shipping services and provide the tracking number.
– PayPal payment option below. Additional fee will be added to cover PayPal service charge.
By clicking on “Pay Now” button you will be re-directed to PayPal
|Solo Performers, one piece||Second audition piece||Ensemble Member (Duo, Trio)|
Piano and Strings Competition Rules
1. Age category and time limit for the application video recording of the first piece:
|Category||Age||Performance Time limit|
|Young Musicians||5 – 10||not to exceed 5 minutes|
|Junior||11 – 14||not to exceed 6 minutes|
|Intermediate||15 – 18||not to exceed 6 minutes|
|Amateur||19 and up||not to exceed 6 minutes|
|College Students and Professional Musicians||18 and up||not to exceed 7 minutes|
Extra performance time up to 1 minute can be accepted for the Winners Recital with $100 additional fee.
2. Repertoire Requirements:
Applicant may choose one or two pieces from the standard repertoire (Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Contemporary periods).
One fast movement of Sonata or Sonatina could be accepted as a separate piece.
First (required) piece will be included into the Recital program if the participant is selected as a winner.
Only one piece could be performed at the Winners Recital. Set of different works is not acceptable for the Winners Recital.
Only original pieces will be accepted for pianists, no shortened versions.
3. Only un-edited video can be accepted for the audition (parts of video connected together or video clips are not acceptable).
4. Video recordings should be a fair representation of the Contestant’s abilities, but need not be of a professional quality. Applicant’s name and exact title of the audition piece must be included in the description of the video on YouTube (Vimeo, etc.).
5. Contestants must perform from memory. No repeats. Music for the ensembles does not have to be memorized.
6. Judges comments will not be disclosed. Judges’ decisions are final and can’t be appealed.
7. First Prize Winners may not submit the same audition program for the following season.
8. The final selection of winners will be based solely on the video recordings submitted.
9. Winners of the Competition will perform one piece from the participant’s audition repertoire.
10. No changes to biographical information are allowed after the application is submitted.
11. Competition results will be published on the American Protégé web-site on February 28, 2021.
12. The Certificates will be granted to the performing winners only, after the Winners Recital. Winners who have chosen not to participate in the Winners Recital for any reason may be disqualified.
13. In addition to the Competition Rules, American Protégé General Policy provisions apply to all applicants and winners. Please read carefully American Protégé Policy before applying to the Competition.
Winners Recital Information
1. Each Winner will perform at one Recital. Recital date and time will be offered to the Winner based on the Competition results.
2. To change a performance repertoire, a $55 fee must be submitted on the Contact Us page no later than two months prior to the Recital.
3. Extra performance time of up to 1 minute can be accepted for the Winners Recital with an additional fee of $100.
4. Only piano accompaniment can be used at the Winners Recital. No acoustic system will be provided.
5. Participants must bring their own piano accompanist. American Protégé does not provide piano accompanist, but can recommend one (contact the office).
6. Organizational Committee collects short biographies to introduce the performers at the Winners Recitals. American Protégé reserves the rights to edit, reduce and re-format any submitted biographies as it seems appropriate and fit into the Recital Brochure.
7. All participants are responsible for their own expenses (travel, housing accommodations, etc.).
8. The total Recital and Photo Fee for Solo Participants is $400 and includes: Recital booklets with all Recital performers’ biographies and photos (for the booklet sample please click here), Certificate, Teacher’s Diploma, two (2) guests’ tickets and 20-30 digital photos taken by professional photographer during participant’s performance on stage. Participants and piano accompanists do not need tickets to be admitted to the backstage.
9. For Ensemble Member, Recital Fee is $250 per member plus $100 Photo Fee per group. The Recital and Photo Fees include: Recital booklets with all Recital performers’ biographies and photos (for the booklet sample please click here), Certificate, Teacher’s Diploma, two (2) guests’ tickets and 20-30 digital photos taken by professional photographer during ensemble’s performance on stage. Ensemble Members do not need tickets to be admitted to the backstage.
10. Recital and Photo Fees are not refundable.
11. During the COVID-19 pandemic, U.S. participants, who are unable to or unwilling to take a risk to travel to NYC for the Recital, may request a Competition Winner’s Package with a non-refundable $300 fee. The Package includes online recognition, Winner’s Certificate, Teacher’s Diploma, four Booklets with biographies and photos, and participation Plaque Trophy. International participants may arrange a Package pickup or request a shipment to the friends or relative residing in the U.S. We do not mail packages internationally.
12. Photography and video/audio recording is not permitted for audience at Carnegie Hall.
13. Detailed Winners Recital Guidelines will be emailed to the participants.